Sunday, January 10, 2010

What We Are Eating: Week Two

Recap of Week 1
I have to say, I am proud of our first week accomplishments.  We stuck to our meal plans and were able to significantly reduce the refined sugars and white flour in our diets.  Everyone was pretty good about it, except Gracen.  She was devestated that she could no longer have Cocoa Pebbles.  To be completely honest, I have to admit, I did break down and by her a box of lower sugar, whole grain Honey Nut O's.  However, I did not allow her to eat it everyday.  I want her to think of it as a treat, rather than a staple.  With Christmas treats fresh in their minds, the kids did ask if we could make cookies, so we made the Giant Breakfast Cookies (link to recipe in my meal plan below).  We have made those before, and they really like them.   Overall, I am happy!

Week 2 Goals

  • Learn to make homemade chicken stock.  I will be using Kitchen Stewardship's homemade chicken stock recipe.
  • Find a cookie recipe without refined sugar that my children will like.


    One of my readers, Rebekah, is planning to follow along with this series and the weekly goals.  To keep track of her family's progress, she thought it would be helpful to have a chart upon which she can record everything.  I though it was a great idea, so I have designed one that can be downloaded.  You can fill it in with the weekly goals that I will be setting for this series or with your own personal goals. 

    Thanks, Rebekah, for sharing your idea.  If anyone else has any ideas or comments about how I can make this series more helpful/useful, please leave me a comment.
    Table

    Good Finds
    • Trader Joes Goddess Dressing (No high fructose corn syrup, 1 carb, no additives or preservatives) - We ate this on salads, but also as a veggie dip and a spread for wrap sandwiches.
    • Trader Joes Whole Wheat Wraps (only 4 carbs) - Good for soft tacos, sandwhich wraps, breakfast wraps, and quesadillas.
    • Arnold's Whole Wheat Bread  (No high fructose corn syrup)
    • Trader Joes Sunflower Seed Butter and Almond Butter - Even my picky children give these the thumbs up.
    • Stevia - An all natural sugar substitute that we use in coffee, tea, and mix in plain yogurt and cottage cheese.

    • Cashews - Everyone in our family loves a handful of cashews for a yummy snack.

      Week 2' s Meal Plans

      Breakfast
      Cottage Cheese and Fruit Salad
      Giant Breakfast Cookies
      Hard Boiled Eggs and Fruit
      Trader Joes Soy and Flax Flakes
      WW Bagels with Turkey Bacon
      Pioneer Woman's Egg in the Hole


      Lunch
      Almond or Sunflower Seed Butter and Jelly Sandwiches
      Pasta Marinara
      Tunafish Salad with WW Pasta
      TJ Chicken Strips
      Ham Sandwich
      *Items I serve with these - mini peppers and dip, celery and almond butter, fruit, plain yogurt (with stevia) and granola, giant breakfast cookies, cheese sticks, pickles, broccoli and dip, dried fruit bars, Whole Food's Veggie Straws (not really the most healthy, but kids love them for a treat)
      **Saturday and Sunday - Leftovers or Quesadillas


      Dinner
      Spaghetti Squash (WW pasta for kids) and Turkey Sausage with Marinara
      Turkey Vegetable Chili
      Mediterranean Steak Salad
      Crockpot Chicken Tacos
      Oven Roasted Chicken with Mashed Potatoes and Veggies
      Seared Tuna with Sesame Seeds over Mixed Greens (kids will have ww mini bagel pizzas)
      Leftover Night

      Check out what other bloggers are eating at I'm an Organizing Junkie.

      How did your first week go?  Did you accomplish your goals?  Did you learn/find anything you would like to share?  I would love to hear from you!

      To see all of the posts in this series go here!

      11 comments:

      Anonymous said...

      Your menu looks great. We need to get back to healthier eating after a long holiday splurge. I'm going to have to try the breakfast cookies. I think my girls would love them. We're big fans of steel cut oats cooked overnight in the crockpot. We had frozen blueberries and/or dried fruit.

      Cara said...

      It sounds like you had an amazing first week! I think that the lower-sugar Honey Nut Cheerios are perfectly acceptable. You're making some big changes, and I would hardly call that too much of a slip up. It's still a major improvement!

      I use Kitchen Stewardship's technique for homemade chicken stock too, and I've found it to be really easy!!

      Kitchen Stewardship said...

      Love this idea for a series! I can't wait to watch you go. I'm doing chicken stock this week myself. ;) Katie @ Kitchen Stewardship

      Keri said...

      Hi, this is one beautiful blog and you are one busy woman. Glad to have happened upon you this morning. I am now your loyal follower. If you have an extra minute some time, come to mine at www.samwich365.com. I'd be honored to have you visit/comment/or follow. Happy New Year, Keri (a.k.a. Sam)

      Tara Broman said...

      In Need of Chocolate - Thanks so much! Yes, we had quite the holiday splurge, as well. The breakfast cookies are awesome. Definitely give them a try. Unfortunately, my children are not big oatmeal fans. I keep trying different ways to cook it, but alas ~ no change. I will keep trying, though. I know taste buds change.

      Cara - Thank you so much for your support. I am cooking the chicken stock right now. So far, so good.

      Kitchen Stewardship - Thanks! I think this series is going to be enlightening, fun, and healthy. I am looking forward to connecting with others on the same path to health.

      Sam - Thank you for your kind words. I will definitely have to stop by samwich365.

      Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

      I love to read how you are retooling your diet. I wrote a bit about our quest on healthier eating here - http://learningwithmouse.blogspot.com/2010/01/science-in-house-human-body-and.html

      GingerLily said...

      Hi Tara. Not sure if this cookie recipe qualifies as what you're looking for, but I thought I'd share it with you just in case! My kids love these even when I leave out the chocolate chips and sub in raisins. http://greenlitebites.com/2008/12/14/chocolate-oatmeal-walnut-cookies/ ~Krista

      Tara Broman said...

      Krista,
      Those cookies look wonderful. We will definitely have to give them a try. Thanks for sharing. Hope you will stop by again soon!

      Anonymous said...

      The cereal thing is sooo hard!

      The one thing that will usually trump the cereal in the cupboard is a banana smoothie - w/ raw honey, yogurt (vanilla if I have it), milk (raw if I have it) and coconut oil it is really sweet and filling.

      My 10yr old will usually ask for a smoothie over cereal most days. Maybe finding a great go-to smoothie recipe that yours love will help :)

      Tara Broman said...

      Turtle Oak, Thanks for stopping by and sharing. Smoothies are definitely going to be one of my up-coming "goals". I will have to give your recipe a try. Hope you will visit again soon!

      Keri said...

      Hey, where you been? How you been? How are the worms?